Sunday, April 19, 2015

Oklahoma City Bombing

Other than the families who lost their lives in the Oklahoma City Bombing twenty years ago today, those who were in the building and the Journal Record building nearby, and the first responders, I honestly believe no one was affected by that crime than my rl wife.

I was affected - to a much lesser degree - I wasn't downtown.  I wasn't at Ground Zero while the firemen were carrying babies out of the rubble.  She was.

The effects it had on both of us - primarily her, but also to me because what affected her affected me through her, were more significant than any event in either of our lives, ever.

I post this to make an effort - a bad one I'm sure - at explaining why she and I ignore this date as much as possible - April 19.  There are some emotional tar pits that are better ignored.  I'm deliberately trying to shut out all the things that want to bubble to the surface and be typed about.

This isn't comparing a tragedy with any other tragedy.  The ability of humankind to embrace evil and to do evil deeds truly amazes me, in addition to the tendency to wrap evil deeds in a cloak of some kind of "cause" religious or otherwise.  My heart goes out every day to people who have survived all manner of tragedies, both accidental, health, and terrorism.  The OKC bombing did lasting damage to my wife . . . I just saw her change the channel on the TV away from a memorial service . . . those of who you who pray, if you want to say prayer for my wife, her name is Ann.

Path

No comments:

Post a Comment